Sunday, April 22, 2007

My Truth

Rachel Flynn, Prozdor Grade 10

I don’t have some major belief to explain in this essay, I just have my small but true belief in writing. I started writing in third grade and it opened up my eyes to a whole new world. Writing showed me how I could live my life. I could be anything I wanted, a bird flying high over the world, even a girl walking through a dream land. It also showed me truth. You can’t hide in writing because in the end you must come to terms with your problems, even if your problems seem ridiculous. A story isn’t just a story, it is a life. Characters always reflect someone, even if they aren’t meant to. They can open your eyes, even while you fight to keep them shut. I write for truth.

My parents encouraged me, especially my dad. He helped me to pry open the door that I had managed to slide open a sliver. He told me to keep writing and taught me the importance of keeping at it. He keeps telling me to this day to keep the ideas that I think are bad, and work on them to make them better. There is no such thing as a bad idea, but there is such thing as an unfinished idea. I keep them all in folders and notebooks that lay scattered across my house, and someday I will find them and work on them and they will become yet another story among many. My dad helps and he will always help. While I typed away he told me ways to make it better. He showed me that I could truly be myself in my writing, and it took off from there. Soon I was writing about imperfect situations with imperfect people in an imperfect world. I try to teach that you can’t always get your way.

A reason why writing is my belief is because I can truly live through it. I can do and be anything, even if it seems impossible. It’s a high that not many people seem to find. While some think three page essays are hard, I struggle to keep it down to four. Once I start it is hard to stop and I wish that I didn’t have to. I belief that writing is my life and that it will always hold me in its tight grasp, keeping me hostage in a world that I have no wish to leave.

I wish to show others my world. I want others to enjoy reading and writing as much I do, and believe in it as I do. I believe fully in my writing, so while others write this essay on a better day with no pain, I write about writing, and hold strong to my beliefs.

So you see, it isn’t major or big, but is my whole self and it’s all I can give you. I hope you try to understand and take this to heart, for it is what I believe, it is my truth.

No comments: