Thursday, April 19, 2007

You'll Never Get Another Chance

Samantha Becker, Prozdor Grade 10

I believe that every moment we spend being upset is a moment we can never get back.

Upon awaking on my sixteenth birthday my father asked me jokingly if I had any words of wisdom I have gained over the years. I looked him in the eye and said just that.

The time we spend being angry, hurt, in tears, and wishing things were different is time we will never get a second chance at. This is not to say that I myself am never sad, or shed a tear, but more that I have come to understand that there is no reason to ruin a whole day over something small and that a day is better spent with friend laughing after heartbreak, embarrassment, or a bad day than at home alone, miserable.

I will never have back the hours I have spent crying over stupid men or the days I wasted being sour to everyone simply because I got in a fight with my parents over a silly chore request. I regret those days, and so have realized that it will always be better to wipe my eyes or un-furrow my brow, and smile, wave at someone or laugh. Everything looks a little bit better if one tries not to be upset, and you will get much more out of a day.

I believe that we should all remember that even when we are sad or angry or hurt, we cannot let these feelings ruin everything. We must not take it out on those around us, and we cannot change most of the situations so take the time we are given and enjoy it. Do not waste your life being upset, dragging out the times when you are upset, or looking for things to be upset about. Find the good. Smile. I believe that one should live every day not as though it were your last, but as if you will never get another chance at it.
Because you won’t.

This I believe.

No comments: