Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What is Important to Me

Victoria Adler, Prozdor Grade 11

What is important to me? Getting to school on time, finishing my homework, keeping up my grades, and getting enough sleep. I worry about all of these things, and more, every day. Like most people, I tend to overlook the real important parts of my life.

I get caught up in my busy schedule, and do not have the time to think about others. The amount of stress I experience everyday clouds my vision of what I really should appreciate. A good day for me would be finishing all of my homework. A good day is supposed to be a day where no one was hurt. A moment needs to be taken everyday to appreciate what we have. That is something I rarely did. After experiencing a once in a lifetime opportunity, I now believe in that statement.

I traveled to Eastern Europe for eleven days with a group of fellow students. We toured concentration camps, synagogues, and the cities where Jewish life once existed. I went into this trip knowing that it would change my life, but I never imagined it would the way it did. I thought I would become more appreciative for my own life, but instead, I became more appreciative for the life of my family.

My family has always been there for me and will continue to always be. That is something I have taken for granted. Instead of thanking them for everything they do, I get mad because I want to do more. I yell when I am annoyed, cry when I am stressed, and rebel when I do not get my way. And yet, they still are always there for me. Instead of showing my mom gratitude for helping me pack for the trip, I just get mad because she was making me more stressed. Instead of seeing my brother’s annoying actions as wanting my attention, I would just yell. It was not until I saw their names on the walls of concentration camps that I realized how lucky I am. I assume that my family will be there everyday, just like the Holocaust victims assumed, but only they were not as lucky as I am. They lost everything, and yet I have everything, and still did not appreciate it.

My trip took an unexpected turn. I no longer worried about the work I had to do when I got home, or the anxiety of talking about my experience. I became more interested in buying my brother a shirt and speaking with my parents. I wanted to tell them everything, and I knew they would want to listen.

The reality check I experienced on my trip completely changed my outlook on life. Instead of dreading time with my parents, I now embrace it. Instead of avoiding conversations with my brother, I now start them. Instead of living my day without thinking of my family, I now take a moment to do so. I hope you will too.

No comments: